Holi cannot be complete without the traditional Gujiya or Karanji Recipe.
This time replace your fried Gujiyas with Baked Gujiyas.
Recipe By: Dt. Garima Mishra
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Cook Time: 1 hr 20 mins
Difficulty Level: Medium
Ingredients required for Baked Karanji (Gujiya)
- 2 Cups Sooji
- 1 cup Low Fat Milk
- 1 cup Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 tsp cardamom powder(इलायची पाउडर)
- 1 tsp Homemade White Butter (सफेद मक्खन)
- 1/2 cup Raisins (किशमिश)
- 1/2 cup Almonds (crushed)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar or Jaggery (गुड़)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Onion Seeds (कलोंजी)
How to Make Baked Karanji (Gujiya)
For the Filling:
- Heat 1 tsp white butter in a pan, add 1/2 cup Sooji along with cardamom powder and saute the mixture in regular intervals.
- Once the raw smell of Sooji is gone, add brown sugar, crushed almonds, and raisins. You can also stuff it with fruits like apples or pineapples. Mix well and take it off the heat.
For the Dough:
- Place the remaining Sooji in a large bowl and add some Onion seeds, salt and Baking soda. Mix well.
- Now add milk and let it soak until the Sooji dissolves and turns soft.
- Now add the wheat flour and make a dough (add milk if required). Keep the dough aside for 1 hour.
- After an hour, take some dough required to make 4-inch Pooris and roll it using the rolling pin.
- Add about 1 Tbsp of the filling on one side of the poori and seal by folding both the edges to make a half moon-shaped structure. You can use a little water while sealing the edges.
- Twist the edges to form a design pattern and repeat the procedure with the remaining dough.
- Now bake the karanjis in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- Let it cool. Dip in honey and serve this Perfect dessert for Holi.
Key Ingredients: Sooji, cardamom powder, white butter, raisins, almonds (crushed), brown sugar, soda bi carbonate, salt , onion seeds, milk, wheat flour, honey.
YOU MUST TRY THESE AMAZING RECIPES TOO!